Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Road Less Traveled

I'm sure that when Scott Peck wrote the book "The Road Less Traveled" he didn't realize that it would be the beginning of a cult-like following that he would enjoy (or not) for the rest of his life. The book was #1 on best seller lists for YEARS.

It's one of the few books where most people over the age of 40 know the first line. "Life is difficult." Some therapists have built a career around this line alone.

I've read nearly all of Peck's books. Some I've liked more than others. But the way he changed my life the most was when I attended a 3 day workshop he conducted in the 80s. He said, in passing, that he sat down and read for two hours every morning - and that we should as well. What a concept! Could I do this?

I did. Despite a stress filled life that would amaze you, I began to find two morning hours (the best hours) to read most days. I'm still doing it.

But long before Peck, Robert Frost and I were taking the road less traveled "and that has made all the difference."