Thursday, July 5, 2007

Begin the Beguine

Two or three nights a week my Boyfriend and I go to the lake. It's a five minute drive. There's a band-shell where different orchestras, bands, pops, etc. play every night during the summer. They're all entertaining - and some of them are quite good.

Several nights ago we strolled by to see a group of ancient people on stage. I mean they were old. Unlike every other night these oldies were singers - with only a piano accompaniment. In "There Ain't Nothin' Like a Dame." three old guys in sailor hats got up to sing and three old ladies donned grass skirts over their white pants and hulued around them as they belted it out.

It wasn't very good but they were having great fun - and so were we.

Then a woman well into her 80s got up to sing Cole Porter's "Begin the Beguine." I felt a little embarrassed for her. This is a seriously romantic song full of angst and remembrances.

I was transported from her first note.

When they begin the beguine,
It brings back a night of tropical splendor


She obviously had been a singer at one time. The notes were clear - and she sang as though she was living every word of it.

I'm with you once more under the stars
Down by the shore an orchestra's playing


And then her voice gained strength and tears filled her eyes.

So don't let them begin the beguine
Let the love that was once a fire remain an ember
Let it sleep like the dead desire I only remember
When they begin the beguine."


I was in tears too.