Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Lookin' For Satan in All the Wrong Places

I have a white, soft cotton jacket from Chico's. On the back, in silver stitching, is their logo, a crescent moon and sun. I love this jacket and wear it all the time. Two people, one I know and one I don't, have asked if the stitching on the back is satanic. Seriously.

In John Irving's "The World According to Garp" Garp's grandmother warns him whenever he goes to the beach to look out for the undertow. Garp thinks she's saying "Under Toad." So for the rest of his life he's looking for this green monster to come out of the water and ruin things for him.

It didn't work that way. He ruined things for himself.

It's a lot easier to find evil "out there" than to look inside. But when I do, the good news is that it's fixable once I recognize it.

If you see me out and about in my white cotton jacket, remember this. It's not satanic. It's Chico's.