Saturday, July 14, 2007

Empathy

One of my Power Ranger friends is having a difficult time. Her husband is sick. It's been going on a while. He's had surgery and the recuperation isn't going so well. He's been in constant pain for months.

This sounds trite but I know what she's going through.

I know that there is no routine. Every day is an unknown.

I know that, since she's a strong woman, most people assume she's doing fine. It's him they're worried about.

I know that she is astoundingly grateful that her daughter has flown in from across the country but feels guilty about it as well.

I know that she is astoundingly grateful for friends and family but the thought of having to make one more phone call to explain the situation to someone she barely knows is almost more than she can take at the end of the day.

I know that having medical professionals give daily contradicting reports is crazy making. (I used to think that it was like being in a padded room and having somebody whap you against opposing walls.)

I know that she's beyond exhaustion, is in pain and there's no relief in sight for her. (When my Real Husband would refuse drugs I would say to the nurse "I'll take them" - but I never got any.)

I know that the worst is seeing her strong, handsome, life partner, suffering.

Get well soon Rowing Coach.