Monday, July 9, 2007

My Fake Parents

I have had breakfast every Saturday in the same restaurant with the same couple for 16 years. (When I'm in town.) They are exceptional people. I love them. I love every bit of the time I get to spend with them. Everybody in their small, upscale town knows and loves them. Here are some reasons why:

- They've been retired for 25 years and in that time they've eaten out 3 times a day - every day. Every manager thinks his restaurant is their favorite! They're big tippers. They have excellent rapport with the wait-staff.

- They're funny, smart, well traveled and almost always in a good mood.

- They look great. A while back when we were celebrating her birthday my gift to her was a swim cap. His gift was money for a new dress. Then he took her to New York it buy it.

- They're joined at the hip. Always together. Sometimes when they walk down the avenue holding hands he carries her purse.

- When others are in trouble they are the first ones at the door with whatever is needed - and lots of it.

- They were loving and patient with my Real Husband to the very end.

They are old enough to be my parents - but they're not. It's probably just as well. Unlike their real children we have no baggage to work through. No complications or obligations. I get that.

But a while back when a hostess said to me as I arrived late, "Your parents are already here!"

I replied, "I WISH!"