Monday, July 23, 2007

Nature or Nurture

When my youngest child was 6 or 7 we visited his school counselor. He just wasn't as Full Boar - Out There - I Want to be King of the World - as the other children. (For what it's worth, this has all changed. He IS King of the World.)

For instance if I tried to help his sister put on her coat, she would fight me tooth and nail. "I can do it myself."

If I offered to help my youngest child he smiled and stuck out his arm.

He was sweet at home, sweet in school and never tried to correct his teacher - so I figured maybe there was a problem.

The school counselor confirmed that, yes, there was a problem. While she didn't know him or me, she had just returned from a workshop on "Birth Order." Her assessment was that my fourth child was spoiled and that I wasn't expecting enough from him.

"And he seems to have a passive personality - like yours!"

Face it moms, Nature or nurture - it's still our fault!