Saturday, July 21, 2007

Let's Talk

It's easy to have great conversation. You need only a variation of the following phrases:

1. How are you?
2. Look at me!

Do you want to scream sometimes when you're with a person who talks endlessly? They NEVER ask a question. They are forever saying in various ways "Look at me." It's more of a performance than conversation.

I used to try to get a word in edgewise but these days I mostly just clam up and go to my happy place.

On the other hand, I'm not comfortable being with people who never expose themselves. Always delving into my personal life - like they're trying to analyze me.

I could (and do) spend hours with people who are skilled at both phrases. People who have plenty to say but also want to hear from me.

But not like the actor who finally says, "Enough about me, how did YOU like my last movie."