Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Profit Margin

My #1 son was always good at making money.

When he was barely a teenager we had eight orange trees in our back yard. During the season it was a mess trying to keep the oranges picked up. I tried to bribe the younger kids to do it but they got hot, bored and tired in a hurry.

Finally I went to #1 son and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. Get rid of the oranges! He could do it anyway he wanted. I would not pay him but I would assist him (within reason) and and he could keep any profits.

A few days later he asked me to drive him to a nearby orange juice company. He'd already made arrangements to have my big old Plymouth weighed.

After arriving back home he filled my car to the brim with oranges. We drove back to the company, had the fully loaded car weighed and he was paid for the difference. We did this many times during the season.

He made a bundle.

My Real Husband used to say to him "Son, you've been gifted with the ability to make money. There are other things you need to work on."

He did - along with making the money.