Thursday, August 2, 2007

We're Different

Right now my #1 son is on a hunting trip in Bolivia. His teenaged son is with him.

I'm not a hunter. I'm an anti-gun person. I've never held a gun. Until I saw a revolver in my daughter's evidence box when she was a prosecutor, I'd never seen a gun.

My #1 son loves the outdoors. Me, not so much.

One of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make was when he was 16 and wanted to take a three day trip through the everglades in a canoe. With only one friend accompanying him.

I did not want him to go. I didn't understand the attraction. But I had to tell myself that we were - and probably always would be - different.

He went. He was in my prayers every hour of those three days. My greatest fear wasn't alligators, or bears or snakes. Although these fears were justified. My greatest fear was people. There are some strange people in the Everglades.

They had a wonderful adventure. They pulled up and docked at fish camps for the night. While I was wide awake worrying and praying, they were safe and sound.

My #1 son has hunted all over the world. It's his passion. We're different - but I guess that's OK.