Sunday, August 5, 2007

I Was Gypped

When I was having my babies in the 60s and 70s breast feeding was highly discouraged. Despite having a gift basket of formula waiting for me after my delivery, I did breast feed my first child for several weeks but just couldn't get the hang of it. And my doctor told me that only poor people breast fed. I learned too late that I should have stuck it out.

Later on, I'm proud to say that I was part of a world wide women's group that brought a multinational company to it's knees for pushing baby formula in third world countries.

Another international militant breast feeding group, the Laleche League, has made a huge difference.

While there are still women who, for good reasons, can't breast feed, there are also women who don't want their professional or social lives (or their breasts) to suffer.

I mourn not breast feeding. Both of my daughters, both professionals, breast fed their babies until my Real Husband was afraid that they would accompany their children to kindergarten.

I held each one of my babies in my arms while I bottle fed them. Still, it's not the same. I mourn not breast feeding my babies.

I know they would have had fewer health issues as children.

But on the other hand, they might have been even smarter. And I don't think any of us want that.