Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Hair

Most women are ga ga about their hair. In Nora Ephram's latest book she tells about throwing a welcome home party for a friend just one day out of prison. Despite all of them being in their 60s, the former inmate was the only one with white hair.

For the first time in 20 years my hair is its natural color. It's still highlighted but the highlights are white. Why? I color my own hair and it's just seemed like too much trouble and a dangerous thing to do in my Boyfriend's pure white guest bathroom.

I've had many mishaps in my own bathroom. (Hint - don't stand on a cream colored rug to dye your hair.)

Why do I dye it myself? Because I can't afford to have it done. I get my hair cut at Great Clips for the same reason - and because they do an excellent job. A new friend noticed the other day that I'd had a haircut and, with a surprised look, said, "Oh, you found someone up here to cut your hair?"

I said, "Yes."

But I was thinking "Yeah, Great Clips is on almost as many corners as McDonald's."

One of my Power Ranger friends has hair sorta like mine. I know that she spends big money on her hair. One time I looked closely at her style, went home, applied styling gel, and pulled off approximately the same look.

I like to give money away - and spend it on things that are important to me. In order to do that I have to give up some things. It works out OK. When I had my hair cut last week I had a coupon so paid only $6.99. But I still tipped the guy $4.00.