Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Spilled Soup

Years ago we had a friend who was a judge and then a legislator. He was also African American. We had a special bond because he grew up in my community (long before we moved here.) His parents were servants in the winter home of a very wealthy and prominent family.

By the way, only one of those homes still exists. It's down the street from me but it houses a commercial developer's office so it's lost it's charm.

Now my friend can afford his own servants. But we call them staff.

By the way, I have no staff.

One time, at a big fancy dinner, I was honored by being seated next to my friend. Not many people in that city knew who he was. So it was surprising that, while serving the many courses to my friend, the blond waitress seemed to be angry or in pain or something.

And then she spilled a bowl of soup all over him.

He was gracious and kind to her. After she left I expressed my concern. He laughed and said,

"It happens to me all the time."

I wonder if it's still happening. I sure hope not. I hope we've come further than that.