Thursday, August 2, 2007

Ray Stevens

I've been to a fair only once since I was a child. I'm a big city girl.

About 20 years ago Ray Stevens was performing at a small, local fair in West Palm Beach. I've always liked Ray Stevens. If you don't know who he is, I'm sorry. I can't describe him except to say that he's a country/novelty singer - a folksy guy. Do you remember "The Streak?"

We went to the fair to see Ray Stevens.

Ray performed in a small TENT. No A/C. But he was good and sang all of his hits. When he finished we walked around the outside of the tent to try to say hello and maybe even interview him. He's such a friendly, folksy guy.

A burley man stopped us at the tent flap. When I told him what I wanted he laughed,

"Lady, his limo was sitting here with the motor running for the entire performance. He's back in his hotel room having a martini by now."