Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hospitality

One summer my Real Husband and I left for an overnight trip. #1 son was home from collage for the summer and in charge of the little ones. At the time we were living in a parsonage/manse that, well, let me put it this way. It was our least favorite. The house had issues. Not the least of which was the A/C not working most of the time.

That afternoon, after we left, a "well to do" couple was traveling across the state and made a surprise visit to the parsonage. They were business people but the husband also helped lead mission trips to Central and South America for the UMC. #1 son knew and respected him.

It's important to know this because what he did was so out of character for him that we were shaking our heads about it for months.

First, he invited them to stay for dinner. They did.

What did they have to eat? I DON'T KNOW. But the younger kids loved this son's famous spaghetti casserole. It consisted of torn up pieces of baloney, raw onions and other stuff. I hope he didn't fix that.

Next he invited them to spend the night. They did.

Where did they sleep? In our bed.

When were those sheets last washed? I DON'T KNOW.

In what condition did we leave that tiny bathroom? I DON'T KNOW.

When he told us about it later he acted like it was no big deal.