Thursday, August 23, 2007

High Alert

How do you handle crises? I go on high alert. But I'm not good at making snap decisions. I'm a slow reactor. I need time to process.

Early this morning my good friend called to say he felt "funny." I jumped into a pair of jeans and hurried to his house. He was sweating profusely and clutching his chest.

DO I CALL 911 OR GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL THAT'S FIVE MINUTES AWAY?

I got him into the car and then called 911 so they'd be ready for us.

As they were working on him I called his wife, who is one of my Power Rangers. She hadn't yet reached her office. I asked her assistant to run outside, flag her down and send her to the hospital.

Five minutes later they were packing him up to air lift him to another hospital.

DO I GO WITH HIM IN THE HELICOPTER OR WAIT FOR HIS WIFE?

I waited. When she and I arrived at the new hospital he was already well into surgery. I was so pumped that I could have performed it myself.

Other good friends arrived. We waited and prayed. He did well. When I kissed his suntanned head goodbye this afternoon he was alert and talking.

Now I'm a mess.

And besides that, at least 100 special people got to see me without make up and bra less today.