Sunday, August 26, 2007

Compromise

My Real Husband and I had "heavy discussions" about a number of things. I'll have to admit it wasn't always his fault.

When he was in seminary and I was working full time at the university he would occasionally wake me up at 1:00 A.M. to type a paper he'd just finished - and, of course, was due the next morning.

I'd drag myself to the typewriter and begin. Then stop. Because I didn't agree with what he'd written - and I didn't think he believed it either. That preceded a "heavy theological discussion."

Naming the children was a contest of wills. When we were expecting our 4th we agreed on the first name but I didn't like his middle name choice.

And I was ready to put a permanent stop to the baby business. He wasn't so sure. Despite not being a real hands on father (he was called to other things) he loved having babies.

I had a perfectly logical reason for not wanting his choice for the baby's middle name. Even though it was a biblical name (of a good guy in the Bible) I had some issues with this New Testament character.

So when our baby was two days old and still unnamed, my Real Husband arrived at the hospital with a gift. A silver charm for my bracelet. On one side the baby's full name (with the middle name he wanted) was engraved. On the other side of the hexagonal shaped charm, in large square print, was the word STOP.

I accepted the compromise.