Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Home Again

Yes, I miss my boyfriend - but it's good to be home. I usually unpack my bags and start the washer first thing after a trip but this time I hit the ground running. I'm still dressing out of my suitcase and, after being away for 10 weeks, I'm still finding dead bugs on the floor.

The trip home (via trains, planes, cabs, etc.) took four days because I stopped mid way to see family.

Here are some travel memories:

-The Ethiopian cab driver/college student who told me the same brutal story that we hear about so many African countries. I hope he heads home when he gets his degree. He intends to. But this country/culture is so seductive.

-The really cool water fight I had with my grandchildren. I heard that it was very hot where they live so I took squirt guns. We were all drenched. Including the toddler.

-The conversation I had with my son in law about his work. Work that has saved lives and has the potential for saving thousands of lives.

-The sad newly divorced man on the train who bragged to me about his constant travel then, after a lengthy conversation, admitted that he had nothing to go home to.

-Arriving home in the middle of the night to my cool, comfy and well lit condo due to my thoughtful neighbors.

Don't worry. I'll do laundry and run the vacuum soon.