Wednesday, September 5, 2007

What's Not to Like?

A food editor named Heather McPherson writes a column in one of the papers I read. As you know, I don't cook (much) but she's funny and smart. I love her column.

Lately she's written about state fairs and how they try to one-up each other in the fast food department.

(By the way, I haven't heard from my favorite Hoosiers about how the Indiana State Fair food stacked up.)

Last week she wrote about Minnesota and their "food on a stick." Today it's Texas (the largest state fair, of course.) It's all about the deep frying.

Some examples:
  • Deep-Fried Lattes - pastry topped with cappuccino ice cream, caramel sauce, whipped cream and instant powder.
  • Fried Chili Pie
  • Fried Guacamole - breaded mashed avocado with ranch dressing or salsa.
  • Fried Banana Pudding
  • Deep Fried Coke - cola flavored batter, drizzled with Coke flavored syrup, then topped with whipped cream, cinnamon sugar and a cherry.

Tomorrow I'm meeting some old friends for lunch at a catfish place in a small, close by, town. Yes, I'll have catfish. Can't wait. Yum. Yum. I guess I can order something else, something non fried - but why?

I can assure you that:

- I will order the fingerlings, deep fried with a cornmeal coating. That's 5 whole catfish (but they're small.)

- I will eat every bite and it will take a while because they're full of bones.

- I will come home and (as Heather McPherson suggests) "Grab the Pepto."

She also said something about a defibrillator.