Sunday, September 9, 2007

Relationships Change

Despite being the most beloved person on the planet, Mother Teresa has had a bit of bad press lately. Because she had difficulty praying audibly she was encouraged to keep what we would call a prayer journal.

She wanted these written prayers destroyed upon her death but the higher ups said no.

So now we have her innermost, private thoughts and feelings about her relationship with God "out there."

I'm no Mother Teresa but I keep a prayer journal. If you read it, which you won't, you would see, laid out bare, every emotion imaginable. I've been mad at God more than once. I figure God can take it.

Apparently like Mother Teresa, (although I'm no Mother Teresa) I've felt totally and completely alone. I've also felt totally blessed. Maybe God doesn't change but I do.

Isn't that the human condition? Isn't that what real relationships are about?

In the movie, "The Painted Veil" (based on the book by Somerset Maugham) there is a scene in a convent in rural China in the middle of a cholera epidemic.

An old Mother Superior talking with the young woman about relationships and sacrifice tells her about her own love life. She says when she first fell in love with Christ she felt like any young lover. Now they were more like two old people sitting on the couch, not talking much. "But he knows I'm not going to leave him."

This may not be religious enough for you but isn't this what relationships are about? Ever changing.

Did I mention that I'm no Mother Teresa?