Sunday, September 23, 2007

Food

An old friend called the other evening. She'd been reading the blog entry I wrote a while back called "I Don't Cook." Actually in the blog I was reminiscing about the massive amount of cooking I used to do - for what seemed like armies of people.

The old friend was around for some of that. Before we ended the conversation she asked for my "Six Weeks Bran Muffins" recipe.

We talked about how cooking has changed. I like simple meals - but presentation is still a big deal with me.

People of all ages are allergic to so many things these days. (I think this is an environmental issue but you don't want me to get started on that, do you?)

We're having a little dinner party this week. I'm making Sesame Chicken but it has a peanut butter sauce so I'm hoping nobody swells up or turns purple.

Here's the bran muffin recipe. I haven't made it in 20 years but I can assure you it's good - and good for you.

SIX WEEKS BRAN MUFFINS

1 box Raisin Bran (15 oz or 4 cups)
3 cups sugar
5 cups flour
5 teaspoons soda
2 teaspoons salt
4 eggs - beaten
1 quart buttermilk
1 cup oil

Combine raisin bran, sugar, and (flour, soda and salt sifted together) in a large bowl. Add mixture of eggs, buttermilk and oil. Mix well and refrigerate in a large covered container. Now whenever you want one or 50 hot, moist, delicious muffins, bake the desired amount in paper muffin cups in muffin tins. Batter will keep at least six weeks. Bake 15 minutes at 400 degrees.