Monday, September 3, 2007

Inspiration

I'm inspired by so many people. I've always found those who do their best with what they have, or do something new, or sacrificial - to be exciting - and inspiring. I'm not talking about "winners."

We were in a small group recently discussing what it means to inspire others. A friend allowed as how she didn't have time for that right now because she was a single mom with a teenage daughter, starting a new career, and was in the process of adopting her teenage nephew after the recent sudden death of his father - her brother.

Is she kiddin' me? I was totally inspired by her.

This summer my Boyfriend and I went twice to the big Picasso exhibit in his city. Pablo Picasso was a visionary and inspired scores of painters and other artists to stretch themselves.

But there is a perplexing quote on the wall of the museum from John Graham, a famous Russian painter. After viewing Picasso's work he said:

I gave up abstract painting altogether, leaving it to Picasso who can do it best of all.

How sad. But if I was discouraged (rather than inspired) by people who are more gifted than me - I guess I'd hang it up too.