Saturday, September 22, 2007

Beautiful People

Yesterday my Boyfriend and I attended a fancy luncheon that was in memory of my Real Husband. Yes, when he's being honored I like to take a date.

When he (my Real Husband not my Boyfriend) died our family established a scholarship in his memory at a university we love. And then so many friends and family contributed to it that it has become an "endowed" scholarship.

"Endowed" means that it will pay out forever.

This is a traditionally black university. Over 90% of the students are on scholarship.

So a particular industry was having a big convention in the same town as the university and my #2 son made arrangements to have the luncheon be all about the scholarship. He can do this because he is "king of the world."

At our table was the president of the university and two students, my son and some convention people. This convention was full of big shots but when the (woman) president of this old, traditionally black university got up to speak for 5 minutes she blew them out of the water.

So did my son - but we expect that because he's, you know, k. of the w.

But the truly most beautiful people we met at the luncheon - and there were many - were the two outstanding students. The young woman was from Washington, D. C. She's majoring in international studies. The young man was from Nassau in the Bahamas. They both hope to go to graduate school at Columbia.

We had a lovely lunch and lovely conversation with all of these beautiful people. Maybe this is a little bit of what heaven is like.