Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Influential People

My Boyfriend (who, by the way, will be flying down to see me very soon) sent me the USA Today's list of the 25 most influential people of the past 25 years.

Some not surprising - some very surprising.

Bill Gates was 1st (not surprising.) Homer Simpson was 25th (What?)

Stephen Hawking is 7th. I read in my paper just this morning that he's writing a novel for middle schoolers. I can't wait. Learning about physics, time and the universe through the eyes of an 8th grader sounds right up my alley.

Both Hawking and Gates would be on my list but many of the others are, in my eyes, questionable.

I guess I should make my own list but I don't have time today because I have to scrub a bunch of old bathroom tiles. The remodeling of my bathroom has taken on a strange life of its own, one that might interest Stephen Hawking.

Here is the USA Today list:

1. Bill Gates (I've been in love with one of his employees for 23 years.)

2. Ronald Reagan (Fascinating man. I read his diaries this summer. But he would not be on my list.)

3. Oprah Winfrey (A person would have to be brain dead not to know her but I don't see her show(s) and she wouldn't be on my list.

4 & 5. Francis Collins & J. Craig Venter (OK, I know you're saying to yourself "Who?" They are the mappers of the human genome. They're on my list. I want my grandchildren and your grandchildren to live very long and healthy lives.

6. Osama bin Laden

7. Stephen Hawking

8. Lance Armstrong (Great biker and cancer activist but would not be on my list.)

9. Pope John Paul II

10. Bono (Most of us would be surprised at the huge good this man has chosen to do with his life)

11. Mikhall Gorbackev (The Glasnost Guy.)

12. & 13. Sergey Brin & Larry Page (Can you say "Google?")

14. George W. Bush

15. Sam Walton (I have a few problems with Wal-Mart)

16. Deng Xiaoping (He planted the seeds for China's coming of age.)

17. Michael Jordan (Great basketball player but would not be on my list.)

18. Howard Schultz, Starbucks (Not on my list)

19. Nelson Mandela (On my list)

20. J.K. Rowling (Props for getting kids all over the world to read - but not on my list)

21. & 22. Bill & Hillary (Yes, on the list.)

23. Russell Simmons (This isn't Richard Simmons the sweaty guy - it's a hip-hop pioneer. Are they kidding?)

24. Ryan White (The AIDs kid. He was a hero but wouldn't be on my list.)

25. Homer Simpson (What?)