Thursday, September 27, 2007

Cruising

My Boyfriend and I are trying to plan another trip to Europe. Last May we went to Paris. It was to die for.

I used to think that cruises were decadent and I would hate them. Then, years ago, I took one. It was decadent - but I loved it.

Part of our Paris trip was a cruise down the Seine for 7 days. We visited little villages from Paris to La Havre, then took the train back to Paris.

Here's the best part of a cruise for both of us. Meeting people. We both love discovering new and interesting people. On the Paris cruise we met and chit chatted with everybody but then ended up having dinner with the same 3 couples every evening. They became our new best friends. Of course, we haven't seen them since.

But one of my favorite parts of the cruise was the night I had insomnia so, all alone, I watched the lights of Paris slowly pass by as we started our journey down the Seine.

After our train ride back, we stayed in a tiny, inexpensive Parisian hotel. Only the desk clerk spoke English. We walked for hours the first night and finally settled on a little Italian restaurant. We ate outside, of course. Shared a salad and Pasta Bolognaise. It arrived at the table steaming hot with a raw egg yolk in the middle.

How can we top that?