Friday, September 14, 2007

They Didn't Fall Out of a Tree

When my Real Husband used to compliment parents on how well their children were doing and they would deny their contributions he would say,

"Well, they didn't just fall out of a tree!"

Yesterday I had lunch with an exceptional woman - in every area of her life. Her siblings are exceptional as well. When that's the case I usually ask "What was going on in your house when you were growing up to produce people like you?"

I've asked enough people to have an opinion. I know this: It's not money. In my opinion money's used as much to hold kids back as it is to empower them.

Do you know the story of the woman in the hotel with the kid in the wheelchair and the doorman says, "I'm sorry your son can't walk."

And she says, "Oh he can walk, but thank God he doesn't have to."

Like that.

In my opinion, two of the ingredients for producing these super contributing human beings are:

1. A motivated mom (and a loving dad.)

2. Books (all kinds)

There are exceptions. My brother and I just fell out of a tree.