Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Parish Nurse

At my church we have a parish nurse. About ten years ago I, along with some others, tried to get a parish nurse program into the church.

No dice. We have a fairly wealthy (but not me) church and people didn't think they needed a "nurse."

Then the hospital came to us with an offer we couldn't refuse. They paid the first year's salary.

Now, after a few years, there are still a few people who have no idea what a Parish Nurse is. But lots of others think she's a saint.

"Parish Nurse" is not a good title because it sounds like a little old lady who takes your blood pressure.

Our parish nurse is an executive. She provides tremendous learning opportunities and wellness programs. One of my favorite classes is called "Fitness for Life."

When my Real Husband was ill I thought I was really on top of things. But sometimes I couldn't get the equipment we needed because it was so expensive - and insurance wouldn't pay. I would call her and she'd say "Tell the doctor to write the prescription exactly like this." I would and insurance paid.

But she also takes blood pressure readings.

On Sunday morning she's the one who got me headed to the hospital.

Yesterday I was in a meeting and feeling woozy. I went to her office. She took my B/P and sent me directly to Urgent Care where I spent a few hours.

She's spent lots of time talking me through all of the steps I need to take to get squared away.

She acknowledges that I'm The Strongest Woman in the World but she just called to see how I'm doing.




**