Monday, November 12, 2007

Changing Dynamics

I'm the biggest spoil sport when it comes to people having babies. I've been told that I take it way too seriously.

My daughter is having a baby today. My general feelings about people around the world having babies has nothing to do with the baby coming today.

This baby will have, by any standards you care to use, a magnificent upbringing.

The parents are "over the moon" about her momentary arrival.

I am as well - but I'll be so relieved when I get the word that "She's Perfect" and my daughter is fine too.

A few years ago these parents and I met in New York for a three day holiday. At that time they had one baby. It was winter. We walked the streets of New York, pushing the carriage in a light snow fall. We had lunch at Tavern on the Green then shared a carriage ride.

One night we put the baby to bed in their adjoining hotel room then the three of us crawled into the beds in my room and watched the hysterical Christopher Guest movie "Best in Show."

I remember being profoundly happy that night.

Today they will have their 4th baby - my 10th grandchild.

That particular New York experience will never happen again. But new ones will.