Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Today is Turkey Day and I'm feeling so very thankful.

Last night I had dinner with some of my cool friends. We kept them up late because nobody wanted to leave.

This morning I went to church to see if I could help prepare dinner for the homeless families that have been invited. But my help wasn't needed. There were almost as many volunteers as place settings at the tables. And lovely tables they were, laden with linens, silverware and harvest centerpieces.

So I left my pies and went for a walk on the most beautiful avenue in the world until time for the worship service to start at 10 A.M.

Last week when I returned home from my trip I learned that a man, whom I (and half the people in my city) love and respect - had a heart attack. He's much younger than me. He's a doctor and his nurse diagnosed the heart attack, called 911 and he was in the E.R. lickity split. He received a stint and went home a few days ago.

He was in the worship service this morning and helped the minister serve communion.

After conversations with him and other friends I headed for my son's home where I played with his two pre school daughters for a while. They're hysterical. One had on a Bell costume and the other, well I don't know. I can't keep those Disney princesses straight.

When I got home I had an ooy gooy voice mail from my Boyfriend.

And it's only 1 PM!!

A family Thanksgiving dinner still awaits. I heard on the radio that we'll be having turducken. That's a chicken stuffed inside a duck stuffed inside a turkey.

My minister told a story this morning about Rudyard Kipling. I've heard it before so it must be true.

When Kipling was in his prime as a writer in 18th century England he was said to earn 28 shillings per word. Some college students sent him 28 shillings and asked that he send them his best word.

A while later, and to their surprise, they received a telegram from Rudyard Kipling. It contained one word.

"Thanks."