Monday, November 5, 2007

An Open Forum

I love my Sunday school class. 35 people were there yesterday. (Yes, I always count.)

We're a smart group. Some people call us "Eggheads." Some people have felt intimidated when asked to lead us. But the truth is, it's a very easy class to lead.

We usually have a combination of new and old members. Everyone is encouraged to speak. All views are honored. And, believe me, different views are expressed.

There is a man whom I highly respect who thinks that global warming is a hoax!

What?

The truth is that this class is easy to lead because smart people in a safe environment will open up.

It's always exciting when the truth emerges from the group.

I led the class for the month of October on the theme "Transitions." I learned a lot.

This month my close friend and favorite class leader (and that's saying a lot because we've got the best) is doing a series on:

"How Shall I Live, Knowing I Will Die?"

He's the same guy who had the heart attack a while back - but he's doing great now.

Yesterday he gave all thirty-five of us 3 x 5 cards and asked that we jot down as quickly as possible answers to the question "Who Am I?" Following are my answers:

WHO AM I?
  • Mother

  • Good friend

  • Spiritual

  • Writer

  • (Boyfriend's) Soul Mate

  • Grandmother

  • Communicator

  • Person who needs intellectual stimulation

  • Lonely little girl

  • Honest

  • Open

  • Strong

  • Fragile

I was surprised at what I left out. Maybe the above really is what's most important to me.