Thursday, November 8, 2007

Goodbye Boyfriend

I took him to the airport yesterday. Now he's 1,700 miles away in his own home. Tonight he'll celebrate his birthday with old friends.

We celebrated two nights ago with my friends - whom he really likes - but it's not the same.

Tonight he'll be with people he's known for 45 years. Friends who've shared his life. Forty years ago my Boyfriend designed a house for one of the couples. They're still in it.

Why didn't I go with him? I have things to do here. A new baby is coming. The best season of the year is coming.

He and I will both attend traditional parties that we've attended for years. But not with each other.

I have obligations that I take seriously. So does he.

We'll be together again in a few weeks. Until then we'll live our separate lives.

But it's not easy. I have no one to play cribbage with.