Saturday, November 24, 2007

No Movie for Old Women

My friends and I saw "No Country for Old Men" last night. It might surprise you that we would even see this movie but I like irony. And the Coens are all about irony.

By the way, as a little aside, I heard that the Josh Brolin part was offered to him by mistake. They thought they were offering the part to his dad, James Brolin (Babs' husband.) It makes sense because (as the title states) it deals with the inability of old people to handle the violence of life. While we learn that Josh Brolin was a retired Viet Nam vet and oil digger, he just doesn't look the part.

I loved "Fargo." This movie is a lot like "Fargo." It begins with a crime gone wrong. To me the violence is tongue in cheek. Like the guy in the wood chipper in "Fargo."

Early on in "No Country for Old Men" when the sheriff and deputy come upon a scene of exceptional carnage - bodies everywhere - the deputy points to two bodies in suits and says, in his Texas twang, something like "These guys look managerial."

There isn't much dialogue but if you listen closely, you'll hear some funny stuff. The mother in law is hysterical. As are all of the desk clerks.

But here's what I think the movie is about: Evil. We all have it in us but the bad guy in this movie is pure evil.

Josh Brolin did some bad stuff but his big mistake was having compassion for a dying man early on.

I hated the ending. Evil wins. Even after two hours (and you know my limit is one and a half) and the screen went dark I looked at my friend and said "Is this the intermission?"

Listen to the sheriff's speech toward the end when he's telling his wife about his dream. That's about all the satisfaction you're going to get.

Listen up Coen Brothers, people, even old women, don't like to leave unsatisfied.