Thursday, November 22, 2007

I'm Thankful I Don't Have to Shop Tomorrow

Everybody loves to shop. That's everybody except me. I do not like to shop! But even those of you who do will have to admit that the Friday After Thanksgiving shopping day (Black Friday) is getting out of hand.

The mall that's 5 minutes from my house will open at 1:00 A.M. in the morning - serving coffee and donuts. They're calling it "Rockin Shoppin Eve." Can you imagine all those crazed shoppers loaded with sugar and caffeine?

So if you're planning to leave the house and 5:00 A.M. tomorrow, forget it. You're a slacker.

A couple of weeks ago a new IKEA store opened in my city. People began lining up two and a half DAYS prior to the opening. A reporter who, himself, had not heard of an IKEA store a week prior to this event, interviewed some of those in line. A few of them STILL didn't know what it was.

A couple of years ago my eye doctor moved his office into a super Wal-Mart. The first time there (and my first time ever in a super Wal-Mart) I was almost hyperventilating before reaching his office. I had to pass a McDonald's, a bank, a hair salon and a financial planner - all inside the Wal-Mart!

I have an eye appointment on Monday morning. Afterwards, I'm not leaving the big Wal-Mart until I buy every single item I think I might need to prepare for the holidays.

Then I can relax.