Saturday, May 31, 2008

Memorial Day

On Memorial Day I went to a memorial service. It was for a man I didn't really know. His wife had died a few weeks before. Her memorial service was so wonderful that I was looking forward to his when the time came.

I didn't really know her either. So everything I'm going to tell you I learned from the two services.

They were married for 69 years.

Part of each service was a slide show of family photos that depicted their life together. They appeared to be the iconic, Norman Rockwell, American couple - back in the days when life was simpler. They loved each other and they loved their three children. They worked hard and they had fun.

The man's son told us some things about his father. Like he never went to college but he served on the school board in his city. Like he encouraged the children to do their best.

They're all professional educators.

My friends and I have been sharing the following story all week: The son said that when he was in high school and was flunking chemistry, his dad had a meeting with his teacher. The son was eager to know what the teacher had to say.

"He said you have to try harder, son."

Years later when the son was graduating from college with a chemistry major the conversation with the high school teacher was brought up again.

Dad said, "I lied to you back then, son. Your teacher said you weren't college material and you'd better just learn a trade."

The son referred to his father as a "Steady Rock." It's interesting, because that's exactly how I would describe the man's daughter (the only one of the children I know.)

A steady rock.

The son told us nine of his dad's life lessons. I was only able to scribble down eight.

1. Always arrive dressed and ready - and 10 minutes early.

2. Be patient with those you love.

3. In times of adversity, suck it up.

4. Men and boys participate, including cooking and cleaning.

5. Always play your best game. Give 110%. But always congratulate the winner.

6. Education is the key to success.

7. Never give up on your loved ones - even when others have.

8. Treat your wife or significant other as a princess and always be a gentleman.


***