Thursday, May 29, 2008

Happy Birthday Chuck

A while back I shared my joy at receiving a pair of Classic Converse All Star basketball shoes. Now wherever I go people are looking at my feet.

And I just learned today that these famous shoes are celebrating their 100th birthday. Here are a few highlights:

They were popularized in 1921 by Chuck Taylor, hence the nickname "Chucks."

They were worn exclusively by Dr. J.

Michael Jordan wore them when he hit the game-winning shot in the '82 NCAA title game to beat Georgetown.

They've been worn by the main characters in more that 500 movies.

They're featured in the poster for the movie "Hoosiers."

They were worn by the Beatles, The Ramones, Led Zeppelin and Pearl Jam.

They were worn by loads of kids on TV including Timmy in Lassie, and, of course, my favorite Opie Taylor.

They were worn by both dancing, dueling gangs in West Side Story.

Sad to say, Converse is now owned by Nike but Converse All Star Basket Ball shoes will always be known for their retro coolness.


***