Saturday, May 10, 2008

Young At Heart

This afternoon I saw the most extraordinary movie I've seen in many years. My friends and I saw "Young at Heart" at the art theater close to my house.

My Boyfriend and I tried to see it a while back when it was the opening film for the Florida Film Festival. But it was sold out.

It's a documentary about a New England senior citizens singing group. OK, I know, that doesn't sound like much. But trust me! They've sung all over the world, mostly Rock & Roll. And by seniors I mean people over 80. The Rolling Stones are not the only senior citizens singing R & R.

I'm known for not being an emotional person but I laughed most of the way through it - when I wasn't crying.

Do you know "Road to Nowhere" by the Talking Heads? Imagine hearing it sung by this group.

How about The Clash's "Should I Stay or Should I Go?"

The leader of this group is a guy named Bob Cilman.

(Personal note to Dan: This is what I see you doing in a few years. This guy even looks like you.)

To me, it isn't so much about music as it is about PASSION. I hope I have some of this passion as I age.

Go see this movie. You'll thank me for the experience.

I think my new favorite song is "Schizophrenia" by Sonic Youth.



***