Friday, May 30, 2008

My Footprint

The Brookings Institution just released a study ranking the largest metro areas for carbon pollution (carbon footprint.)

Florida cities ranked average to poor. Four of the dirtiest in the country are Louisville, Toledo Cincinnati and Indianapolis (my hometown.)

The top cleanest cities are Honolulu, Portland Los Angeles and New York. The last two are a suprise to me!

I went online to calculate my own personal carbon footprint. I did pretty well but I do drive a car (Camry) and fly in planes.

When I die I'd like to leave a small footprint on this earth. I try to buy only what I need. I don't have much stuff. I recycle my trash and most everything else. I don't use many plastic bags. I take my own cloth bags when I shop.

But I still mess up.

Two days ago I thought there was a dead rat in my outside air conditioning unit. (I smelled a rat!) I called the A/C guy. He found a dead squirrel. Only it was beside the A/C unit. He put it in a plastic bag and was on his way.

If I'd looked around a little, found the squirrel and buried it on the spot it would have saved the guy driving his big van over here and the using the plastic bag.

Oh, and what kind of bill do you think I'll be getting for that 5 minute service call?


***