Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Reason for Everything?

This morning I read about the German philosopher, Gottfried Leibniz. (A catchy name.) He died in 1716 and my book said that, not since Aristotle, has a major philosopher contributed to so many different branches of knowledge.

He was a smart guy.

His main things was "There is a reason for everything."

This may be true, but many times, I fail to see it.

China had an earthquake a few days ago. 3 minutes after it started 10,000 people were dead. Why?

Myanmar (Burma) suffered a cyclone a while back that has killed 30,000 people but the worst is yet to come. Why?

The front page of this morning's paper had a three quarter page picture of the firestorm we're experiencing here in central Florida. The entire front page was about the fire.

That is except for the large ad in the bottom right corner for the new Simpson's Ride at Universal Studios. Who made that decision?

I don't know the answers to any of this but I do know that disasters bring out the best in many people. What can I do? I can pray. And I can give money through my denomination, The United Methodist Church, knowing that every dime will go where I send it.



***