Monday, May 5, 2008

Complaining About the Complainers

My Boyfriend and I recently returned from a transatlantic cruise on a luxury ocean liner. We were waited on hand and foot. It was a magical trip with several stops in places like Bermuda, Ireland and France.

Every day involved pampering, luxurious meals and entertainment. The evenings included world class entertainment.

This ship averaged one crew member for every two passengers. They knocked themselves out to please. Many of these exceptional people live in the Philippines and Indonesia. They're away from their families up to six months at a stretch.

Our fellow passengers were, for the most part, lovely.

But I also heard some world class complaining!

One afternoon I attended an elegant tea at 4 P.M. This followed a brunch that went on for hours. I counted a dozen different stations (venues) at the brunch. It was a treat just to look at. Ice sculptures and tables heavy laden with every delectable thing you could imagine.

Anyway, back to the tea. As we were being served by gloved waiters, I was mortified to have them hear the complaining about the earlier brunch. One lady went on for ten minutes about her English muffin not being properly toasted.

Every time I heard this petty complaining (which happened pretty much every day) it embarrassed me.

I hope the other people within ear shot don't think we're all Ugly Americans.


***