Thursday, May 22, 2008

Converse

For Mother's Day my daughter gave me a pair of classic black Converse All Star basketball shoes, low tops.

I've wanted them for a while.

This week I entertained my dentist and staff by showing off my shoes. Easy to do since my feet were elevated for an hour or so.

My dentist's lovely African American assistant told me that she knows these shoes as "Chucks." I like to refer to them as Opie Taylor shoes. (His were high tops, of course.)

They were also worn by B. J. Hunnicut (Mike Farrell) on MASH. His were a much larger size than mine and Opie's.

She liked the Opie name and we got into a discussion about Ron Howard and what a good and successful person he's remained throughout his life. Unlike many other child stars.

So, besides being really cool and comfy athletic shoes, my "Opies" are great discussion starters.



***