Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Fully Present

There is a concept called being Fully Present.

  • No cell phones
  • No thinking about other people or things
  • No interruptions
  • No day dreaming
  • No grocery lists
  • No multi tasking
  • No checking messages
I would much rather have 10 minutes with a person who is fully present than an hour with people who obviously have more important things than me on their minds.

When I was a consultant I talked a lot about being Fully Present in certain business situations. By the way, it also involves active listening.

A while back, when I visited my Atlanta family, I felt a little ill at ease. The household was so busy. They never slept. I felt inadequate because I no longer have the energy to take it all on.

The last couple of times I've been there have been different. I've accepted the fact that I can no longer do the heavy lifting. I have chosen to just be Fully Present.

It's been a joy for me - and I think they like it too.

I've just returned from a 5 day visit. I loved every minute of it. I loved the comings and goings of the parents, children, nannys, neighbors guests, and business associates. I loved being Fully Present with all of them.

I especially loved listening to my grandchildren. Maybe that's all they need from me.


***