Monday, May 5, 2008

Iranian Barbie

Here's something else for you to worry about:

Iran has a big problem. Because of the dramatic rise in purchasing power as a result of increased oil revenues, Iran has been flooded with Western toys, especially Barbie Dolls.

The increasing visibility of Barbies has alarmed authorities who are considering intervening...Undoubtedly, the personality and identity of our children...has been put at risk and caused irreparable damage.

I think I can help Iran out here.

Coming out of my feminist years just as my older granddaughters were being born, I had some of the same concerns. I didn't want these little girls identifying with Bikini Barbie. But, wanting to be a good grandma, I compromised and bought Astronaut Barbie and Anthropologist Barbie.

Of course, things could get out of hand in Iran if they're not careful. Like, if they don't nip it in the bud, maybe soon these oil rich, Westernized children might be able to buy Reading Lolita in Tehran Barbie.

I, myself, have become so corrupted that, last Christmas, I bought one of my younger granddaughter's Barbie a big pink plastic Volkswagen convertible.



***