Monday, May 12, 2008

The New Normal

Yesterday (Mother's Day) was a good day for me. I enjoyed being with friends at church and, later, seeing family members.

But I didn't feel well. A powerful medicine that I take, oddly, gives me the same symptoms I had with the condition it keeps in check.

My good and wise friend calls this "The New Normal."

Jane Fonda is in town to speak at a benefit. She's writing a new book on aging called The Third Act: Entering Prime Time. We're living 30 years longer than we did a century ago. Jane is going to tell us how to do it successfully.

In the 70s and 80s I worked out most days to her videos. They were brutal. And even Jane says that she doesn't do that hard stuff anymore. She lifts weights, walks and swims.

I feel better today. I walked 2 fast miles in the mall. But, like Jane, no more high energy aerobics.

By the way, just so you know. Jane Fonda is older than I am.



***