Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Window Seat

On April 24th my Boyfriend and I flew from London to Chicago. I had the window seat. Usually, when we're traveling and sightseeing, he insists that I sit by the window.

Remember the Adam Sandler movie, "The Wedding Singer" where Adam learns that the way to tell if a person loves you is whether or not they offer you the window seat?

After flying about 6 hours (we were sitting on the tarmac at Heathrow for 2 hours so actually 8 hours on the plane) I was uncomfortable and tired.

As you know, I don't sleep.

I noticed the TV monitor on the plane showing us flying over Greenland. I used to get Iceland and Greenland confused. Iceland is actually more hospitable (warmer.)

Greenland is mostly above the arctic circle and mostly frozen - all the time. No use looking out the window I thought, nothing could be seen below the cloud cover and there wouldn't be anything much to see anyway.

But, still, I looked.

What I saw was stunning! The view of Greenland was crystal clear. There were mountains and rivers and icebergs in Baffin Bay. It was all snow covered but so varied in color and form. Mostly shades of blue. I was almost overcome, it was so beautiful.

I was also a little overcome because my Boyfriend insists that I have the window seat.


***