Monday, June 9, 2008

Rich Ministers

Last night "60 Minutes" featured a story on the evangelist, Joel O'Steen. Some say he's America's most popular preacher.

He preaches America's most popular theology.

Prosperity Theology.

I know the Bible pretty well and, as much as I'd like to think that God wants me to be rich, I just don't see it in there. I see giving and sacrifice and caring for the poor. I see joy in all kinds of circumstances and ways to find meaning in life. I see overpowering love.

Most of the people who've made great positive changes in the world haven't been rich. Moses, Jesus, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr., to name a few.

The New Testament makes it pretty clear that a lot of rich people are going to have a tough time getting into heaven. It has something to do with how we handle our resources while we're here, namely sharing them with others.

I have an especially tough time with rich ministers.

I have an especially tough time with ministers who get rich from the gifts of their parishioners.

I have an especially tough time with rich ministers who preach "Prosperity Theology."


***