Saturday, June 21, 2008

Movie Quotes I Like

As you know, I love movies. There are endless numbers of movie quotes on line. I quote movies all the time when I'm at a loss for words. Here are just a few that I like - from movies I've seen.

My son knows the entire dialogue for "Blazing Saddles" (as do a number of men his age.) By the way, yes, he does have a job. A quote that comes in handy from "Blazing Saddles" when you're questioned about some decisions that have gone awry is,

"Mongo only pawn in game of life."

I like several quotes from "Fried Green Tomatoes." One of my favorites is when Kathy Bates has been taunted in the grocery store parking lot by some young skinny babes and she finally rams her car into theirs and yells,

"Face it girls, I'm older and I have more insurance."

My very favorite movie line is from "The Bill Chill." Jeff Goldblum says to his friend when she expresses concern that nobody will show up at her funeral,

"I'll come and I'll bring a date."

I've used the line many times to bring a little levity to the funeral situation. It's even more apropos now that I have a date to bring.

The two most quoted movie actors are Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger. The line of Clint's that I've used the most is,

"Do you feel lucky? Do you?"

That's not exactly the right quote but that's how I use it. Clint adds the word "punk."

My favorite Arnold quote is from "Kindergarten Cop."

"I have a headache."
Little kid says "Maybe it's a brain tumor."
(This is the quote I use.) "It's NOT a TUMuur."

A few years back I was listening to a friend of mine, a very prestigious professor, give his farewell speech. It was dry and scholarly. Besides that he has a heavy spanish accent. As he wrapped it up he said that he'd close, using both of his favorite languages, by quoting a famous immigrant who'd done well in politics. And he did by saying.

"Hasta Lavesta Baby."


***