Sunday, June 29, 2008

Meetings

I used to go to lots of meetings. Not so much anymore. When I sometimes ask my Boyfriend if he'd like to do something totally fun he says "Sure, I've got no meetings to go to!"

This morning I heard a man tell about 4 things he does to help him attend and conduct successful meetings and conferences. I agree with his list. Here it is. The comments are mine.

1. SHOW UP

I would add "Show up on time." A whole lot of getting things done is simply showing up. When I worked as a consultant I had to show up. No matter what. One time when I was really sick my Real Husband drove me to my meeting and practically carried me into my presentation. But I did it.

2. LISTEN

People who come off as really smart are actually listening very carefully to others before they speak.

3. TELL THE TRUTH

It needs to be done gently and with sensitivity but not telling the truth wastes a lot of time.

4. LOVE

This may not make sense to you for all kinds of meeting situations. But I see it as a way of life. I also believe this: "The most loving decision is usually the most businesslike decision." Even if somebody has to get fired.


***