Thursday, January 24, 2008

Who Are We For, Dad?

When my kids were little they loved watching sporting events with their dad. I can remember both of my sons, when they were tiny, saying at the beginning of a game,

"Who are we for, Dad?"

That's a good question to ask ourselves about our presidential candidates. I'm a voter, i.e., I've voted in every election for the past 40 years.

But there's a better question. One that should come before the WHO.

"What are we for, dad?"

There are several web sites out that allow you to see if your goals for our country line up with your candidates. My favorite is http://www.selectacandidate.com/ This site was developed by Minnesota Public Radio. It provides a 15 question quiz about Iraq, stem cells, immigration, the death penalty and so on. Thoughtfully answer the questions and at the end they'll tell you which presidential candidate most matches your beliefs.

Not only that, they'll show you how you stack up with all of the other candidates.

I wasn't surprised with the candidate they chose for me - but you might be.

By the way, they have a neat thing here in Florida whereby you can vote early at selected libraries. Our primary is coming up next week but I voted a couple of weeks ago.