Saturday, January 5, 2008

Book Recomendation

Somebody gave my Boyfriend a book. I read the first page and instantly knew I would love it, so he bought me my very own copy.

I don't want you to think that he lavishes me with gifts. We don't have that kind of relationship plus I don't need or want any more stuff. Nor does he.

But I didn't want to read his copy of the book because I have to write in it. It's that kind of book. It's called:

The Intellectual Devotional by David Kidder and Noah Oppenheim

It's not a spiritual devotional. It's a secular book in the same tradition with one year's worth of daily readings on history, literature, arts, science, music, philosophy....and religion.

One of the first entries is on James Joyce's book Ulysses. Years ago I found this book very hard to read. But it was worth it. It's based on Homer's Odyssey but it's about a Jewish guy named Leopold Bloom. He's a good guy during hard times. Joyce calls what he does "Everyday heroism."

Today we would call it "Random acts of kindness."

I'm not recommending that you read Ulysses. James Joyce didn't like to use periods and commas. But you can read this page of The Intellectual Devotional and then pretend that you read Ulysses.

But if that's too hard just rent the movie Evan Almighty. It's the same message.


***