Friday, January 25, 2008

Prayer Flags

I'm still (slowly) working my way through Elizabeth Gilbert's bestseller, "Eat, Pray, Love." Basically, she left a bad marriage and, in the book, is now trying to "find herself" and "get in touch with God."

Worthy goals.

I guess I'm just jealous because I had to find myself and get in touch with God the hard way - while I worked, raised children, put them through college, kept my husband grounded, and did a million other things that I felt I couldn't abandon.

The book is in three parts as Gilbert travels in different parts of the world. She spent a few months in Italy (Eat.) Then in India at an Ashram (Pray), and now she's in Indonesia, Bali to be exact. So I'm thinking that this is where she'll find Love.

We had dinner at a friend's house the other night. They too, are world travelers - to exotic places. But always with a purpose - one that involves enriching the lives of other people. Each of them, separately and together, is making a difference in the world.

As I'm writing this he's making a difference in Haiti.

Recently they were in Bhutan, (Land of the Peaceful Dragon.) They stayed only a few days because, well, they have a life here that includes responsibilities (like children.)

As we were leaving the home the other evening my friend gave me a bundle of Buddhist prayer flags.

As I'm writing this they are cascading from the high point of my four poster bed. They remind me that most of the people I know are "finding themselves" and "getting in touch with God" by helping others and praying right where they are.

***