Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Poetry Doesn't (Usually) Sell

I'm a writer. I wrote articles for business magazines and such when I was working. But my passion was poetry. The poems were printed in newspapers and magazines as well but I was never paid much for them.

Other than the little green poetry book that was (crudely) self published in the 70s and sold thousands of copies and I saw it on e-Bay a while back for a lot of $$$.

My first poem was published in an Emory University literary magazine in the 60s. What a good feeling!

But very few people have ever made a living writing poetry - even those poets who've had great critical acclaim.

One of the things I like about writing poetry is "brevity." I like using as few words as possible. And even though I know the "correct" way to write it's fun to be creative with words. Like e.e. cummings and Billy Joel (who was a concert pianist until he started playing it his way.)

When I was younger and would get frustrated with some situation, I'd write a poem about it - and feel better. Then I'd sell the poem for $5.00 and feel even better.

In the turbulent 70s two things were going on: The Women's Movement was causing marriages to break up because women were able to work outside the home in great numbers - for the first time ever! This included the wives of ministers. The 70s were also a time of great upheaval in the Catholic Church. Priests and nuns were leaving. Many of them were getting married. Some of them to each other.

All of the above was disturbing. So I wrote the following epic poem - and sold it for $5.00.

SIGNS OF THE SEVENTIES

I feel like I'm caught
In mid stream changing horses,
Acknowledging priests' weddings,
And ministers' divorces.



***